Wednesday, March 10, 2010

There are so many words in the english language why use this one

My first question with the topic of the N word is does it make a difference if it ends in an "a" or "er". My best friend, former college roomate, who happens to be Black refers to the word with an "ie". But she doesn't doesn't relegate it's use to just one race everyone reguardless of color a person can have "tendencies." I am not comfortable with the use of the word in any context. Coming from Puerto Rican descent, at least in part, our fight word is Spic. which doesn't have the same legacy of historical context but was used in some instances the same way. Words can be hateful and should be chosen carefully.

I have attached 3 links which discuss the use of the "n" word. The first one if from South Park in which the Father is on a game show and shouts out the term thinking it is the correct answer to the puzzle. The rest of the eposide talks about him becoming an outcast for its use. The second clip is the discussion from CNN about the South Park episode. Lastly I included the clip from the Boondocks in which Dr. King makes a speech about the state of the country and African Americans using the "n"word.

South Park Episode "people who annoy you"



CNN new reactions to N word episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AoyYLhgKq4

Boondocks Dr King Speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsvgrICrrhc

3 comments:

  1. I'm not comfortable in with the word either coming from anyone's mouth. But I did understand Tolentino's explanation of the black reappropriation of the word. Somehow though, I feel that the reappropriation of words like "queer" and "black" from their derogatory meanings to the ones that they have today are more innocuous that reappropriating words like "bitch" or the n word. I feel that some words have too much poison in them.

    Do you draw this line at all yourself as to what words are appropriate to redeem and what words aren't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! My mouth was open throughout the whole south park video. It was crazy because I had so many mixed feelings watching it. At first I was so disgusted that they were referring to African Americans as the most annoying people in the world. I was confused as to how they would be allowed to put something like that on television. Then they revealed the real word and I felt a different emotion. It was interesting that the contestant had insecurities about saying the word, but yet he stated that he was so confidant with his answer. To me it just demonstrates what people do and say behind closed doors regardless of how it affects people. The money he would win if he answered the question correctly, was way more important to him than producing an uncomfortable environment throughout the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does this relate to the readings?

    ReplyDelete